In this Course there will be an emphasis on skills development and the application of those skills.
- motivate and challenge candidates by enabling them to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical situations
- develop confidence in the subject and a positive attitude towards further study in mathematics and the use of mathematics in employment
- deliver in-depth study of mathematical concepts and the ways in which mathematics describes our world
- allow candidates to interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form, skills which are vital to scientific and technological research and development
- deepen candidates’ skills in using mathematical language and exploring advanced mathematical ideas
All levels of Maths courses studied in S5/6 are allocated 6 periods of study per week.
We use a wide variety of teaching approaches and resources to engage pupils fully in the learning experience. Individual, paired and group-work is encouraged through the use of:
- Clear Desk Activities, Jigsaws, Dominoes, Loop games and Star Stations
- Various Smartboard resources for use with a whole class or in teams
- Graphic calculators and Graphing software
- A variety of co-operative learning strategies
There are three key internal assessments throughout the course.
September Progress Test which provides an early indication of how pupils are coping with the course.
November Mini Prelim which provides experience of exam type questions. This consists of a non-calculator paper and a calculator paper.
January Prelim Exam which emulates the final exam, non-calculator and calculator paper, and is used to provide an estimate grade.
External Course Exam – assessed by the SQA
The final examination is taken in two parts.
|Paper 1 (non-calculator)||70||1 hour and 30 minutes|
|Paper 2 (calculator)||80||1 hour and 45 minutes|
The final external exam is demanding and regular independent study is required, approximately 1-3 hours per week, in order to be successful.
Recording & Reporting
Pupils will be given assignment and test grades in class and will receive more detailed reports in their S5 tracking and full report throughout the year. Please see the school calendar for these dates.