National 5 Mathematics
The overall aim of the course is to develop a range of mathematical operational and reasoning skills that can be used to solve mathematical and real-life problems.
The following provides a broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding developed in the course:
- understand and use mathematical concepts and relationships
- select and apply numerical skills
- select and apply skills in algebra, geometry, trigonometry and statistics
- use mathematical models
- use mathematical reasoning skills to interpret information, to select a strategy to solve a problem, and to communicate solutions.
All Mathematics courses studied in S4 are allocated 4 periods of study per week.
All Mathematics courses studied in S5/6 are allocated 6 periods of study per week.
We use a wide variety of teaching approaches and resources to engage pupils fully in the learning experience. Individual, paired and group-work is encouraged through the use of:
- Clear Desk Activities, Jigsaws, Dominoes, Loop games and Star Stations
- Various Smartboard resources for use with a whole class or in teams
- TI Nspire, Graphic calculators and Graphing software
- A variety of co-operative learning strategies
S5/6 pupils will sit a Progress Test in September to provide an early indication of how they are coping with the course.
S4-6 pupils will sit a mini Prelim exam in November and a full Prelim exam in January. This gives practice under exam conditions and is also used to provide an estimate grade.
External Course Exam – assessed by the SQA
The final examination is taken in two parts.
|Paper 1 (non-calculator)||50||1 hour and 15 minutes|
|Paper 2 (calculator)||60||1 hour and 50 minutes|
Recording & Reporting
Pupils will be given assignment and test grades in class and will receive more detailed reports in their tracking and full report throughout the year. Please see the school calendar for these dates.
National 5 Maths http://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-national-5-maths-2/
Maths Revision http://www.mathsrevision.com
BBC National 5 Revision http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/ztrjmp3