S6 Spanish Advanced Higher
This Course is made up of one mandatory unit and one other unit.
Modern Languages: Understanding and Using Language
The purpose of this unit is to provide learners with the opportunity to develop their understanding of cultural and topical issues in the relevant country/countries in the contexts of society, learning, employability, and culture. Learners develop the skills needed to understand and use a modern language in a wide range of contexts by further developing their listening, talking and reading skills, as well as offering opportunities to compare and contrast issues and to increase their language proficiency.
Modern Languages: Extended Reading/Viewing
The purpose of this unit is to provide learners with the opportunities to develop analytical and evaluative skills through the study of literary or media texts in the modern language, or through the study of a thematic aspect of the country/countries of the modern language. Learners develop the skills needed to use a modern language by further developing their writing skills.
Conditions of award
To gain the award of the Course, the learner must pass all of the units as well as the course assessment. Course assessment will provide the basis for grading attainment in the course award.
Skills, knowledge and understanding
- advanced listening and talking, reading, and writing skills in the modern language, as appropriate to purpose and audience, in the contexts of society, learning, employability, and culture
- advanced knowledge and understanding required to understand and use the modern language across the four contexts
- understanding an advanced range of grammatical knowledge when using the modern language
- advanced knowledge and understanding required to apply the language skills of translation and either:
- advanced knowledge and appreciation of literary and/or media texts in the modern language
- advanced knowledge and appreciation of a thematic aspect
Recording & Reporting
Homework is posted in Microsoft Teams.
Use Heriot Watt Scholar and the websites below for independent learning.
Senior Phase Spanish online
Bright Red Digital Zone https://www.brightredbooks.net/subjects/
Languages Online https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/index.html
We teach Spanish https://www.weteachspanish.co.uk/
The UNESCO Courier https://en.unesco.org/courier/archives
Senior Phase Spanish on Youtube
Why Not Spanish?
The Spanish Blog
All languages free access
This Is Language https://www.thisislanguage.com/
Nutty Tilez https://www.thisislanguage.com/nutty-tilez/
Coffee break languages https://radiolingua.com/
Lightbulb Languages https://www.lightbulblanguages.co.uk/index.htm
Betsy Belle https://betsybelleteach.com/
Free stories in any language https://stories.audible.com/discovery