S1 Modern Studies
The S1 course reflects the Experiences and Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence in Social Studies; People in society, economy and business. The course is designed to promote active learning, thinking skills and problem solving in relevant contemporary contexts.
The S1 Course includes the following units:
- Prejudice and Discrimination: an overview of groups that face inequalities in society.
- Health Inequalities : research into causes and effects of ill-health in Scotland
- Scottish Parliament: an introduction to the work of the Scottish Parliament and the role of MSP’s.
The following methods are used to deliver the course:
|Prejudice and Discrimination:||Co-operative learning project on ethnic minorities
Show Racism the Red Card- creative writing
|Health Inequalities:|| Research using a survey
Presenting and analysing survey results.
|Scottish Parliament:||Class election|
The S1 Modern Studies course is assessed in a number of ways:
- Co-operative Learning Project- peer assessed (December)
- Health Inequalities- written assessment (February)
- Scottish Parliament: written assessment (May)
Recording & Reporting
Topic: Prejudice and Discrimination
- Syrian crisis newspaper article
- Poem or letter on racism
Topic: Scottish Parliament
- Devolved and Reserved Powers poster/postcard activity
- Biography of an MP or MSP
- Revision for Assessment
|Topic: Health and Wellbeing
Show Racism the Red Card:
The Scottish Parliament (Visit and Learn):