S1 Modern Studies
The S1 course reflects the Experiences and Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence in Social Studies; People in society, economy and business. The course is designed to promote active learning, thinking skills and problem solving in relevant contemporary contexts.
The S1 Course includes the following units:
- Prejudice and Discrimination: an overview of groups that face inequalities in society.
- Health Inequalities : research into causes and effects of ill-health in Scotland
- Scottish Parliament: an introduction to the work of the Scottish Parliament and the role of MSP’s.
The following methods are used to deliver the course:
|Prejudice and Discrimination:||Co-operative learning project on ethnic minorities|
Show Racism the Red Card- creative writing
|Health Inequalities:|| Research using a survey|
Presenting and analysing survey results.
|Scottish Parliament:||Class election|
The S1 Modern Studies course is assessed in a number of ways:
- Co-operative Learning Project- peer assessed (December)
- Health Inequalities- written assessment (February)
- Scottish Parliament: written assessment (May)
Recording & Reporting
S1 Synopsis booklet will be available using an S1 pupil MS365 account by June 2017.
Quicktime videos of the presentations used in class will be available using an S1 pupil MS365 account by June 2017.
Childnet international at http://www.childnet.com/resources
ThinkUknow at https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/11_13
Animation and programming
Download Scratch at https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch_1.4