Our S2 course provides pupils with the opportunity to consolidate and study topics in more depth while also introducing new topics at the next level.
Pupils will continue to work on the topics noted below
- Number and number processes
- Ideas of chance and uncertainty
- Fractions, decimal fractions and percentages
- Estimation and rounding
- Data and analysis
- Properties of 2D shapes and 3D objects
- Expressions and equations
- Patterns and relationships
- Angle, symmetry and transformation
- Multiples, factors and primes
- Powers and roots
- Measurement and Money
- Level 2/3
- Level 4+ (there is a focus on Algebra throughout)
We use a wide variety of teaching approaches and resources to engage pupils fully in the learning experience. Individual, paired and group-work is encouraged through the use of:
- Clear Desk Activities, Jigsaws, Dominoes, Loop games, Star Stations, Mathletts and Team games
- Various Smartboard resources for use with a whole class or in teams
- Practical resources for teaching Time, Money, Measurement and Shape
- TI Nspire, Graphic calculators and Graphing software
- A variety of co-operative learning strategies
Pupils are assessed continuously throughout the course using various formative assessment methods including teacher, self and peer assessment. Individual pupil Mini-whiteboards are used regularly. Assessment is for Learning methodologies are used on a daily basis including clear Learning Intentions, Traffic Lighting and Next Steps. Lesson Revision Starters are used regularly to enable pupils to recognise areas that may require further attention.
In addition to formative assessment there are four formal written assessments during the session which take place in November, December, February and June.
Recording & Reporting
Teachers keep their own records of pupils’ Home Study but assessment scores are recorded in a departmental spreadsheet. Pupils are given feedback on Home Study tasks and assessments during class. Following each assessment they will also complete an evaluation sheet which is then taken home for parental signature. There is also the S2 Tracking, Parents’ evening and report. Please see the school calendar for these dates.
Pupils should use their issued Numeracy Booklet and the Curriculum for Excellence CfE Level 3/4 PowerPoint for independent study at home. In addition the following websites are recommended:
The following equipment is required regularly in the Mathematics department:
- highlighter or coloured pencil
Sharp scientific calculators can be purchased from the department for £5.