Here you can find information about the music department, courses offered, the music instruction programme and extra curricular activities offered.
The department has 2 full time staff and 9 visiting instrumental teachers.
Mrs. Marianne Patrick – CL Performing Arts (music and drama)
Mr James Kennedy – Music Teacher
Aims and Philosophy:
• To provide pupils with the skills and opportunities to confidently perform on musical instruments and/or voice, in a variety of styles.
• To develop pupils’ skills so that they can apply their knowledge and understanding of music through performing, composing, listening and report writing.
• To provide opportunities for pupils to learn a musical instrument or voice via the City of Edinburgh Music Instruction Programme.
• To encourage pupils to develop musical skills through use of ICT.
• To provide pupils with the opportunity to achieve qualifications and positive destinations relevant to today’s work place.
• To enhance the ethos of the school by participation in liturgical events.
The benefits of music:
• Music teaches you to be disciplined
• Music teaches you to work with others
• Music teaches you to become an independent learner
• Music teaches you to deal with disappointment as well as success
• Music helps you to set and accomplish goals
• Music gives you the opportunity to create life-long friendships, to be inspired and to inspire others
• Music gives you the ability to create something beautiful that can have a transformative effect on another’s life
• Music teaches you that it takes hours and hours of practice and hard work to achieve your goals, that success is not a one-time event but rather a lifetime of personal achievement.
• Music helps you to develop valuable attributes that are used across all of your life in whichever career path you pursue.
School Orchestra participation in BBC music Day 2017, playing ‘Habanera’ from the ‘Ten Pieces’
and performing at Central Hall for the Childline Concert
Carol Singing at Lauriston Hall and at the Lauriston Eye Pavilion Christmas
Visit to the BBC Tent Edinburgh Festival
- Department overview Course Overview
- BGE Music Performing Course Overview
- N4/5 Music Performing Course Overview
- Higher Music Performing Course Overview
- Advanced Higher Music Performing Course Overview
- BGE Music Technology Course Overview
- N4/5 Music Technology Course Overview
- Higher Music Technology Course Overview
- Instrumental Programme Course Overview
- Extra-curricular Orchestra and Ensembles Course Overview
- Course Overview