Throughout your time at school, you will have to make some big decisions about their future, and that’s where Skills Development Scotland’s highly qualified Careers Advisers come in.
Claire Alexander is based right here in the school to give you the careers support you need throughout your time with us.
You might meet them with your class at a group activity, at a careers event or at a one-to-one appointment.
Your careers adviser might speak to you about:
· Finding out about yourself, your strengths and skills
· Making subject choices
· Different types of careers and how to research them
· Developing the types of skills that are useful in a job
· Routes into careers, including apprenticeships
· Building and developing your networks
· Creating CVs
· Making applications and applying for courses
The work of SDS careers advisers is supported by My World of Work, our online service.
Beyond school, our advisers operate from a network of SDS centres and community locations nationwide, offering expert support to customers of all ages. You can find your nearest centre at myworldofwork.co.uk/centres.
Find out more about our services at skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk.
To find out more about the support on offer, you can contact Claire on Tues, Wed, Thurs or Friday morning on 07717 730 345 , or have a look at the Guide to Career Services in Schools.
My World of Work
My World of Work is Scotland’s online careers information and advice service - offering tools to help you choose a career. You’ll also find information and advice on topics like CVs and interviews, learning and training, job vacancies and apprenticeships. If you’re a parent, there’s advice on how to support your child as they make career decisions. To find out more go to myworldofwork.co.uk, follow @mywowscotland on Twitter or My World of Work on Facebook. From Skills Development Scotland.
Support for parents and carers
Everyone wants their child to have a happy and successful future. And research shows that as a parent or carer you have the biggest influence on your child’s career decisions.
My Kid’s Career offers advice to help you give your child the support they need including:
· Jobs in demand – find out where the biggest job opportunities are in Scotland, now and in the future
· Routes and pathways – discover the different routes into those careers
· Career discussions – get hints and tips on speaking to your child about opportunities at the times that matter
Smart choices, bright futures at mykidscareer.com.
Apprenticeships.scot is your one-stop shop for apprenticeships. You can find out how to build the experience and skills that employers want to see. And you can search and apply for apprenticeship vacancies across Scotland in a wide range of industries.
No matter what stage you’re at, apprenticeships can help you get set for a bright future. And now, there are more ways than ever to get involved.
· Foundation Apprenticeships: kick start your career while you’re still at school
· Modern Apprenticeships: work, learn and earn and get the skills you need
· Graduate apprenticeships: get a job, get paid and get a degree at the same time
Visit apprenticeships.scot to find the right apprenticeship for you.
Digital World promotes the skills and training needed to work in Scotland’s tech sector. Through case studies, and online learning tools, the site aims to inspire school pupils to become digital humans, people who are able to challenge convention and make a real difference in the world through technology and creativity.
Visit www.digitalworld.net to find out more!